2019 – New Year, New Name

I am so excited to relaunch my blog after a little break.  As you may have noticed, I have been absent from the blogger-sphere since 2016.  This has been primarily due to the birth of my first child in 2017.  I have been completely absorbed into the world of nappies, tummy time and The Wiggles, and I have loved every minute of it!  As my little man becomes more independent, I find that I can now dedicate some time back into this passion project.

Allow me to reintroduce myself…  My name is Jill Palermo and I am a teacher.  I love what I do and I am not ashamed to say that I am extremely particular about what I do and create.  2019 will be my 13th year of teaching and my second year in Prep.  I have previously taught Grade 1/2 for 3 years and Grade 3/4 for 8 years.  I have also held the role of Religious Education Leader for 8 years.

In 2013, I originally started this blog as a prerequisite for a Web 2.0 Course I completed, but found that this was a great outlet to share my reflections and resources.  Since then, I have ventured onto other platforms too.  You can also find me on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.  Whilst I have been far more active on these other platforms and I’ve noticed the general decline of interest in blogs, I am determined to persist with maintaining my blog in 2019.  I’m not sure who’s out there following me, but at the very least, what a great place to collect and record my own professional development over the years.

I originally called myself the OCD Teacher and whilst I still embody this name – it drives me nuts when displays aren’t straight and symmetrical… However, I am starting 2019 with a new name – The Pedantic Teacher.

In my research, I found that the meaning of pedantic was to be “excessively concerned with details or rules; overscrupulous.”   And upon reflection, I think that is me to the tee!  I am obsessively concerned with details and rules – because I believe that these are extremely important.  When students, colleagues and parents feel that there is organisation and attention to detail in the classroom, in their relationship with the teacher, in what is expected of themselves – then good learning happens…

In 2019, I look forward to sharing learning, resources, experiences and laughs with you all.

What are your hopes and goals for 2019?  Feel free to leave a comment below.