0

Final Course Reflection

Wow!  What a journey!

At the beginning of the Web 2.0 Course, I felt that I had fair amount of knowledge and skills when it came to technology and the Web.  How wrong was I!?!  I had no idea just how much is out there on the web!  We certainly do “live in an information rich age.  We have more access to information than any other generation.” (iLe@rn video)

And throughout this course, I have discovered so many different tools.  I think what has stuck with me the most would be that there are so many alternatives and options for us and our students.

The video about eLearning with iLe@rn model affirmed my beliefs about the importance of student engagement, as discussed in my previous post – Student Engagement.  I have embedded the video below.

I also liked the acrostic that was presented and find that this is a great summary of the concept of eLearning:

• engaging
  • Learning
  • environments
  • anything, anywhere, anytime
  • reflective/responsible learners
  • networking
  • internationally
  • no boundaries
  • global and local communities

The video also highlights the importance of skills such as:

• communication and collaboration skills
  • questioning skills
  • reflection skills
  • creative thinking skills
  • critical thinking skills
  • multi-modal literacy skills

Together with problem solving skills, I believe that these are the most important skills that we can teach our students.  In our rapidly evolving world, we have no idea of what the future holds for our students.  Rather than our focus being on content, we need to teach skills.  Most importantly, skills that are transferrable to a variety of situations and problems.

Having used Bloom’s Taxonomy in my unit planning, I think the Digital Bloom’s Taxonomy Map created by A Churches will be extremely useful in helping me to consider the digital alternatives for learning experiences.  As discussed previously, utilising digital resources will help students engage in their learning.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Web 2.0 Course and feel that it has truly enriched my ICT knowledge and skills.  I have learnt about so many new things.  I have fallen in love with Google Docs and hope to utilise it more in the classroom.  I am keen to further explore Wikis, Google Sites, Delicious, RSS feeds.  Through completing module reflections, I feel that the course has helped me to become highly proficient in blogging and hope to continue using this blog for my learning reflections and to collaborate with others.

I have been most excited by the collaborative nature of this course.  I feel that I am now equipped with the tools and resources that will help me to create collaborative online communities.  I have always believed in the importance of collaboration and have always aimed to do this in the classroom.  I now realise that this can occur virtually for my students and for staff.

I think we need to be mindful that web tools, websites and apps will come and go.  As I mentioned earlier, it is the skills that we explicitly teach our students that will matter.  However, this course has made it clear that there are infinite possibilities for learning.  And the Web is merely a gateway…

*************************************************************************************************************************

Course Completion Requirements

Comments were made on the following blogs:

http://lilianasblog.global2.vic.edu.au/  Module 7

http://carolteaching.blogspot.com.au/  Module 2

J Palermo