0

Module 3

I love Google Docs!

Up until completing this course, I had heard of Google Docs but didn’t know much about them.  Google was just a search engine to me.  I hadn’t realise how far Google had developed in the last few years – Google Drive, Gmail, Google Blogger etc.  Actually, I’m beginning to feel quite behind!

I can instantly see the application of Google Docs in the classroom.  The potential for online collaboration is great.  The fact that users can access and work on one document anytime and anywhere means that learning is not confined to the location of the school or its hours.  Also, since there is only one document, there is no confusion between updated copies.

I liked the notion that we are attaching multiple users to one document, rather than copies of one document to a number of users.  I like how different users can edit the document using different colours and fonts, which means that we can see the contributions that each user makes.

I am most excited by the potential use of Google Forms, especially in terms of assessment.  I think that Google Forms will help towards the organisation and collation of assessment data, allowing me more time to analyse the data rather than sorting it.  I am mindful that this may only be useful for some assessments and will greatly depend on the domain, topic and most importantly, the purpose of the assessment.

However, I am willing to try it out with the class and have already done so.  I used Google Forms to create a survey about the students’ perceptions of Maths and to ascertain their opinions and feedback about what a ‘good’ Maths lesson looks like.  Already knowing what questions I was going to use, I spent perhaps 10 minutes creating the form on Thursday night.  I emailed the link to the students and they completed the survey in the first 15 minutes of our ICT time on Friday.  Instantly, their responses were collated into a spread sheet.  It was great!  Now, I don’t need to spend time looking through papers and collating their responses.  This tedious part has been done for me.  I can spend time actually looking at their responses and use the spread sheet functions to create graphs.  As a visual learner, this will give me a clear idea of how students are feeling and what they would like to see more of in our Maths lessons.

You can see the Maths Survey by clicking on the following link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1YncNShScEACVrkRISwPAVMf7cCOWwbQvu4sVzou-b8s/viewform

And here is a screenshot of the spread sheet that was created from the responses:

J Palermo